Let’s Grow Together! We are a fast-moving Fortune 200 publicly-traded company with more than 13,000 stores and 14 distribution centers in 43 states, growing by hundreds of stores each year. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation and teamwork. At Dollar General, you can see a clear and fast path to career growth and success. We are committed to attracting talented and motivated people who can advance our mission of «Serving Others.»
Responsible for the management of all employees in the effective planning and implementation of all store processes, including ordering, receiving, stocking, presentation, selling, staffing and support.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Recruit, select and retain qualified employees according to federal and state labor laws and company policies; ensure store is properly staffed.
- Provide proper training for employees; conduct performance evaluations; identify gaps for appropriate solutions and/or counseling, up to and including termination.
- Make recommendations regarding employee pay rate and advancement.
- Communicate performance, conduct and safety expectations regularly; coordinate meetings and events to encourage safety, security and policies.
- Ensure that the store is appropriately staffed and effectively opened and closed each day. Personally open the store a minimum of two times per week; personally close the store a minimum of two times per week.
- Evaluate operating statements to identify business trends (including sales, profitability, and turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and errors.
- Order to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets; review ordering plan, seasonal direction and inventory management issues on a weekly basis; follow up on Basic Stock Replenishment (BSR)/cycle counts.
- Facilitate the efficient staging, stocking and storage of merchandise by following defined company work processes.
- Ensure that all merchandise is presented according to established practices; utilize merchandise fixtures properly including presentation, product pricing and signage.
- Maintain accurate inventory levels by controlling damages, markdowns, scanning, paperwork, and facility controls.
- Ensure the financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control, and adherence to stated company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Maintain a clean, well-organized store; facilitate a safe and secure working and shopping environment.
- Ensure that store is adequately equipped with tools necessary to perform required tasks.
- Follow company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications; ensure employee compliance.
- Complete all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and interpret operating statements and identify corrective actions to negative trends, if needed.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE program, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, health regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform cash register functions to generate reports.
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and termination practices in compliance with applicable law and company requirements.
- Knowledge of all local and state food handling certifications and requirements.
- Basic knowledge of personal and network computer systems to communicate with corporate office, to create merchandise signage, to obtain and email data and information, etc.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Knowledge of food handling, safety and sanitation regulations.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and standards verbally and in writing to staff, suppliers and customers.
- Ability to interface with staff, suppliers and customers in a respectful and effective manner.
- Good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations relating to store operations and business relationships.
- Ability to obtain the required local and state food handling management certifications.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling and reaching to run check out station and stock merchandise.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanner, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, rolltainers (four-wheel rolling merchandise carts) and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds. Occasional climbing using ladder.
- Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend meetings and travel to other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- May be exposed to extreme cold in freezers.
WORK EXPERIENCE &/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Three years of retail store experience preferred. Experience to include at least one to two years as a Department Head/Assistant Manager, or similar position in a retail grocery store or equivalent type operation or a current DG key carrier position with similar experience.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.